As not bleeding edge, nifty-keen-like-wow the XMPP protocol is, Jabber (the colloquial name for XMPP I'll be using them interchangably in this article) has been my go-to means of person-to-person chat (as well as communication protocol with other parts of me) for a couple of years now. There are a bunch of different servers out there on multiple platforms, they all support pretty much the same set of features (some have the experimental features, some don't), and the protocol is federated, which is to say that every server can talk to every other server out there (unless you turn that function off), kind of like e-mail. You can also build some pretty crazy stuff on top of it and not have to worry about the low-level stuff, which isn't necessarily the case with newer protocols like Matrix. There are also interface libraries for just about every programming language out there. For example, in my Halo project I use SleekXMPP because it lets me configure only what I want to out of the box and handles all of the fiddly stuff for me (like responding to the different kinds of keepalive pings that Jabber clients send). Hack to live, not live to hack, right? There are also XMPP clients for just about every platform out there, from humble Android devices to Windows 10 monstrosities. However, sometimes you find yourself in a situation in which your XMPP client can't reach the server for whatever reason (and there are some good reasons, let's be fair).
Since PivotX went out of support I've been running the Bolt CMS for my website at Dreamhost (referral link). A couple of weeks back you may have noticed some trouble my site was having, due to my running into significant difficulty encountered when upgrading from the v2.x release series to the v3.x release series. Some stuff went sideways, and I had to restore from backup at least once before I managed to get the upgrade procedure straightened out with the help of some of the developers in the Bolt IRC channel on Freenode. If it wasn't for help from rossriley it would have taken significantly longer to un-fuck my website.
Here's the procedure that I used to get my site upgraded to the latest release of Bolt.