Hacking around memory limitations in shared hosting.

May 30 2019

Longtime readers are aware that I've been a customer of Dreamhost for quite a few years now, and by and large they've done all right by me.  They haven't complained (much) about all the stuff I have running there, and I try to keep my hosted databases in good condition.  However, the server they have my stuff on is starting to act wonky.  Periodic outages mostly, but when my Wallabag installation started throwing all sorts of errors and generally not working right, that got under my skin in a fairly big hurry.  I reinstalled.  I upgraded to the latest stable release.  I installed the latest commit from the source code repository401 and 500 errors as far as the eye could see whenever I tried to do anything regardless of what I did.

In a misguided attempt to figure out what was going on, I bit the bullet and installed PHP on one of my servers, along with all of the usual dependencies and tried to replicate my setup at Dreamhost.  What that was a bit tricky and took some debugging I eventually got it to work.  It was getting my data out of the sorta-kinda-broken setup that proved troublesome.