Scaling up font sizes in Chromium.

Sep 30 2017

Longtime readers have probably seen the odd post about my getting fed up with Firefox and migrating my workflow (and much of my online data archive) to Chromium, which has been significantly faster if nothing else than Firefox lately.  Of course, due to Windbringer's screen resolution I immediately ran into problems with just about every font size being too small, including the text in the URL bar, the menus, and the add-ons that I use.  On a lark I went back to my font sizes in Keybase article and give it a try.  Lo and behold, when I used --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 it worked - I can see everything now.  I could complain about the size of the text in the bookmarks bar, but I'm willing to deal with it because now I can read everything.  For the record, here are the contents of my ~/Desktop/chromium.desktop file, so you can do it yourself:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Chromium
GenericName=Web Browser
Terminal=false
Icon=chromium
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;
    x-scheme-handler/https;
Exec=chromium --force-device-scale-factor=1.5 %U

Technomancer Tools: Creating a local web archive with Chrome and PageArchiver.

Sep 24 2017

Some time ago I wrote an article of suggestions for archiving web content offline, at the very least to have local copies in the event that connectivity was unavailable.  I also expressed some frustration that there didn't seem to be any workable options for the Chromium web browser because I'd been having trouble getting the viable options working.  After my attempt at fixing up Firefox fell far short of my goal (it worked for all of a day, if that) I realized that I needed to come up with something that would let me do what I needed to do.  I installed Chromium on Windbringer (I'm not a fan of Chrome because Google puts a great deal of tracking and monitoring crap into the browser and I'm not okay with that) and set to work.  Here's how I did it:

First I spent some time configuring Chromium with my usual preferences.  That always takes a while, and involved importing my bookmarks from Firefox, an automated process that took several hours to run.  I also exported everything I had cached in Scrapbook, which wound up taking all night.  I then installed the SingleFile Core plugin for Chrome/Chromium, which does the actual work of turning web pages open in browser tabs into a cacheable single file.  I restarted Chromium, which I probably didn't need to do but I really wanted a working solution so I opted for caution and then installed PageArchiver from the Chrome store and restarted Chromium again.  This added the little "open file folder" icon to the Chromium menu bar.  The order the add-ons are installed in seems to matter, add SingleFile Core first if you do nothing else.

Now get ready for me to feel stupid: If you want to store something using PageArchiver, click on the file folder icon to open the PageArchiver pop-up, click "Tabs" to show a list of tabs you have open in Chromium/Chrome, click the checkboxes for the ones you want to save, and then hit the save button.  For systems like Windbringer which have extremely high resolution screens, that save button may not be visible.  You can, however, scroll both horizontally and vertically in the PageArchiver pop-up panel to expose that button.  I didn't realize that before so I never found that button.  That's all it took.

Here's what didn't work:

I can't import my Scrapbook archives because they're sitting in a folder on Windbringer's desktop as a couple of thousand separate subdirectories, each of them containing all of the web content for a single web page.  I need to figure out what to do there.  It may consist of writing a utility that turns directories full of HTML into SQL commands to inject them into PageArchiver's SQLite database which, by default, resides in the directory $HOME/.config/chromium/Default/databases/chrome-extension_ihkkeoeinpbomhnpkmmkpggkaefincbn_0 (the directory name is constant; the jumble of letters at the end is the same as the one in the Chrome Store URL) and has the filename 2 (yes, just the number 2).  You can open it up with the SQLite browser of you choice if you wish and go poking around.  Somebody may have come up with a technique for it and I just haven't found it yet, I don't know.  I may not be able to add them in any reasonable way at all and have to resort to running an ad-hoc local web server with Python or something if I want to access them, like this:

[drwho@windbringer ~]$ python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000