Rigging up Raspbian Buster to run on a Pi-Top

Jan 06 2020

It doesn't seem that long ago that I put together a Pi-Top and started tricking it out to use as a backup system.  It was problematic in some important ways (the keyboard's a bit wonky), but most of all the supported respin of Raspbian for use with the Pi-Top was really, really slow and a bit fragile.  While Windbringer was busy doing a full backup last week I took my Pi-Top for a spin while out and about, and to be blunt it was too bloody slow to use.  At first I figured that the microSD card I was using for the boot device was one of the lower-quality ones that bogs down once in a while, but that turned out not to be the case.  Out of desperation I started looking into possibly upgrading the RasPi in that particular shell to the latest and greatest version, which I happen to have received as a Yule gift last year.  Lo and behold, I was not the only person to think along these lines. (local mirror)  While the article in question talked at some length about the hardware challenges involved (mostly due to the different arrangement of connectors) the software part was the most valuable to me because it answered, concretely and concisely, how to get unmodified Raspbian working with a Pi-Top's unusual control hardware.  So that this information doesn't get lost in the ether I'm going to write up what I did.